Friday, October 14, 2011

The Life and Times of a Cabbage Box.

This cabbage box is waxed, as most produce boxes are, because the wax makes the box waterproof which helps maintain the quality of the product inside in case it "sweats."

This box came to me from an Amish family in Wisconsin, filled with lovely organic cabbage.

I sent the cabbage out to my customers.

Now, I have a bunch of empty cabbage boxes, as well as other empty waxed produce boxes. What shall I do with them? Well, I could recycle them and I will, just not in the way you think.

They will go to Pamela over at House of Joe in West Melbourne (which by the way is one of the most fabulous bakers I know).

She will fill them, as well as hundreds of other boxes, with supplies collected from her friends and church family. Then they will get loaded on a container and sent to third world countries.

In the slums of third world countries and even in the homeless communities of America, shelter is built with anything they can find. Often times, cardboard boxes.

Since these boxes are waterproof, they will be a higher quality building material.

So, once the supplies are unloaded out of them, they will be distributed as building material.

And I bet you thought that cabbage was only good for slaw. :-)

Cheers and Happy Cabbage Eats!
Lucinda

No comments:

Post a Comment