Monday, October 10, 2011

Get on the Happy Train. :-)

Eleanor Roosevelt said: "Since you get more joy out of giving joy to others, you should put a good deal of thought into the happiness that you are able to give."

True story, my friends.

Happiness is a disease worth catching and I am one of those lucky people that are surrounded with others that have it. I love it when they spit in my general direction. :-)

When it comes to customers, my are, bar none, some of the most wonderful people a person could ask to work with. They are great. They send me funny emails and sweet letters. They leave notes for my driver and make sure to tell me when my employees do great things. They share with me their struggles and disdain/love for certain foods. Although I haven't personally met hardly any of them, I feel connected to them because of our interactions via email/ phone/ or even just by what they put on their "never sends" list. On the other side, my employees get all kinds of giddy when our customers do something sweet for them, or leave donations for the Daily Bread. When my friends, a few of which work for me, get together we sit around and chat about the great/ funny/ sweet things most customers do. I, personally, smile a lot over this. I feel pretty lucky.

With that said. October is a rather sad month for me. To get through it, I generally try to put as much fuel in the happy train of others as I can. Hoping that by doing so, I won't even have the time to wallow in my own drama or sadness. This year.... I brought my foodie family in on the fun. (The letter I put in their boxes is listed below). One thing, I didn't expect was the heartfelt, tear jerking emails they sent me personally. I am going to put up another post with a few emails I got. Just so you can see how great people really are. It just so happened that I got those emails right when I needed them. I am so blessed. So very very blessed and the happy train has lots of coal in the fire now.

Dear Fresh Box Foodie:

October is a special month for me.

This Friday will mark 15 years to the day that my father took his own life, leaving my mother with 6 children to feed and a farm she couldn’t pay for. That was a very sad time for my family, and happiness was hard to come by.

I don’t know a lot about depression, but what I do know is that for those that are depressed, happiness is not an emotion that frequents them.

I can’t bring my father back or erase the sadness that surrounded that time of my life, but what I can do is to try to share and show and spread as much happiness as possible. So, I thought I would bring y’all in on the fun. Spread some happiness with me, as so many of you already do, week after week with your sweet notes, emails, generosity with the Daily Bread, and your patronage

With that said, in the month of October I will be putting things in your boxes to help with the cause.

When my gran was in the hospital battling breast cancer she always loved it when my grandfather would bring her mail. She loved the cards and letters. She also loves to sends cards, and as someone that gets them frequently from her, I can tell you that they make my day!!!

So in honor of Breast Cancer Awareness month and my gran (her being a survivor and all), this week I have put postcards in your boxes. Send them to someone. Send them to your children, or your parents, or your gran, or your friends, or write your significant other a note and put it on the refrigerator.

Sunshine and Happiness,

Lucinda

(A very extra special thank you to Suzanne Clements and Beth Ann Hall for taking the pictures on these lovely little cards).



4 comments:

  1. Lucy, you put deposits in my 'happy bank' all the time! I think you must have gotten the happy bug from your mom. She never failed to see the positive side of everything and even when she was down with those awful migraines, she managed a smile and a word of cheer. I know her faith runs deep. She is an amazing woman. And her mom, your grandmother, must surely have been the vine that bore that fruit. In the profession she has chosen, she could have easily become discouraged dealing with death all the time. But she is the catalyst for healing in people's lives even at the darkest hour of their own. I never think of her but what I see her smiling face. I am doing the Pink. Pass it on. breast cancer awareness walk in Quincy next weekend and she will be one of the survivors that I will be thinking about as I go down main street with hundreds of others. Just wanted to pop this little token onto your happy train for you today. You are an inspiration to so many. Keep smiling. Vicki Reichert

    ReplyDelete
  2. You top the knot when it comes to bringing a smile to people's faces, Lucy. What an inspiration you are to so many. I know I have laughed out loud at your antics, maybe even giggle snorting a little as I read your posts on Facebook. You do have a way with words! I expect you got a lot of that spunk and brightness from your mom. All the years I've known her, she has never failed to find the positive side of things. Even with those awful migraine attacks, she managed a smile. And I expect that her own mom, your grandma Janna was a catalyst for that kind of personality. I always see her with a smile on her face when I think about her. And next weekend I will be walking for the Pink. Pass it on. breast cancer awareness in Quincy, in honor of those who have survived and are surviving that dreaded malady. Your mom will be on my mind as I go down Main street Quincy with the hundreds of others doing that 5k. Keep doing what you do. You are an uplift for a lot of us in a bog-down world. God bless. Vicki Reichert

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Vicki- thank you so much! I am going to print off your comment and mail it to mother and gran.

    I promise you that they will smile so much their faces will hurt.

    Grateful,
    Lucinda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Lucy, I see both comments made it onboard. I thought I lost it so I rewrote. I really am not that forgetful. ha.

    ReplyDelete