Monday, September 26, 2011

Let it Go. Let it Be.

This is a picture of Fiona on her second birthday. Isn't she cute? (sorry, couldn't resist doing the "oh look how cute my kid is" mother thing all us mamas do.)

I am in the blue shirt. For the purposes of this post, I want you to look behind me at the painting on the wall. That painting has special meaning to me. It was a gift from the grandparents of my best friend that past away when we were 16.

It hung, as the only item of decoration, on the living room wall of my marital home. It was the first thing you saw when you walked in the door. It now hangs on the wall of my home in Florida, again as the first thing you see when you walk in the door.

Last night, as Fiona's father came to pick her up, he commented on it. "That is a really nice painting, where did it come from?" he asked.

Hmmm. "It is from our home. The Bearden's gave it to me. It hung on our wall for years." I responded.

In my mindset, the mellow dramatic one that us women can sometimes be prone to specifically towards the males of our present and past, I couldn't understand how he could ask such a silly question. I mean, after all, he did live in the same house with the same painting on the wall for years. What the frizzle?

I closed my eyes tight so that nobody could see me roll them. Let it go, Lucinda, let it go.

Later in the evening as I was reading Harry Potter (yes, I read Harry Potter and love it...want to make something of it?), I realized I have read this series 5 times now (yes, I have read it five times. Again, want to make something of it ;- ) ? ) and just noticed that my maiden name is used in the book. Aha moment.

If I am allowed to read the same book 5 times without judgement and not notice that my maiden name, which is not actually a common name, is used who am I to pass judgement on someone that doesn't notice a painting for 5 years?

Humans are silly, aren't we? We waste a lot of our life getting all worked up about some of the most pointless things... like paintings.

I let it go.

In my quest for a more simplistic heart and life, I keep finding that when we embrace those around us as they are, we not only remove 90% of the drama from our lives, we allow ourselves to be who we are without judgement. Oh the freedom.

So let it go, and let it be. :-)

Sunshine and Happiness,

Lucinda




2 comments: