Sunday, November 23, 2008

Casa Clark Thanksgiving Menu

As we come upon the Thanksgiving holidays I want to put a note about why this holiday is so special to me. First of all, who doesn’t love a holiday completely centered on giving thanks and coming together to eat? However, for me it is more than that. As many of you know, I spent many a years on the east coast away from my family. Being ever so consumed in my career and personal life I didn’t make it home for the holidays. Instead, I had friends over for a breakfast feast consisting of traditional Midwestern biscuits and gravy followed by a day of playing cards and an eventual evening meal. Now that I have discovered old roots are hard to pull, and found my way back to the Midwest- Thanksgiving is celebrated at my house. The torch has been passed to my generation from my lovely grandmother. My sister cooks the turkey, grandma still brings the noodles (I haven’t quite mastered the art of the noodles yet), and I cook the rest. Every year I look forward to hosting Thanksgiving, because it symbolizes my maturity into womanhood. There is something significant in the fact that my sister and I are now entrusted with the feast preparing. Although I will not pretend to be able to fill gran’s shoes, (it takes both my sister and I to prepare the meal) I am very grateful that I have been given the opportunity.

Here is what we are having this Thanksgiving- please email me for recipe information if interested!
Sugared walnuts
Cheese tray
Kitchen sink salad (salad with various fruits, nuts, and whatever else strikes me as good)
Turkey
Maple Glazed Ham with roasted chestnuts
Cranberry Sauce
Green Beans with bacon and onion
Trio of Roasted potatoes
candied sweet potatoes and apples
Steamed Carrots glazed with a tangerine sauce
Noodles
Wild rice, cranberry and sausage stuffing
Hot rolls made with a pear sourdough starter
Homemade blueberry wine (has been aging all summer)
Triple berry pie from Rayville
Custardy pumpkin pie
Lemon Pie
Black Walnut Pie
Freshly whipped cream

No comments:

Post a Comment