Sunday, March 28, 2010

My Birthday

Today is my birthday. Quite a few "bloggable" things happened. However, my inspiration for tomorrow comes from this little snippet my mother wrote in a letter of reccommendation for one of her students that is applying to Harvard.

"Our hometown is located in a very rural area in Northeast Missouri. There are very few cultural and academic opportunities in this county. We have seen the great Mississippi river breach its levies and flood a significant portion of this school district. The local rivers and tributaries have flooded the cropland and farmers have suffered. Matthew's father has a construction business and has felt the financial ramifications of this natural disaster. Always looking beyond the difficulties of life, Matthew has thrown himself into charitable activities and volunteer programs that help meet the needs of the community."

The flooding in Missouri may jeapordize this young man's financial ability to go to college.

I grew up in this small town with the odds against me. Through some sort of luck, I have been able to travel the world, have financial success, and enjoy many cultures. As fate would have it, old roots are hard to pull and I have come full circle - back to where it all started. I am trying to support a food culture that puts more money in the farmer's pockets so people like Matthew have the opportunity to reach their potential.

Age is a small price to pay for the maturity that allows me to see and count my blessings. I do, however, feel old when I think of how short life is and how much work there is to do in the development of a more socially just food system.

Does the food you eat support large giants like Monsanto, Kraft, and Cargill.. or is there a deeper story behind it?

I encourage you to make the family farm the story behind your food. In doing so, you support people like Matthew.

Cheers and Happy Eats!
Lucinda

No comments:

Post a Comment